Micronutrients that are important for seniors
Not only, are many seniors shifting to a vegetarian lifestyle but they also are preferring to stay indoors. Especially now with all the pandemic fears floating about. The essential nutrients which are primarily sourced from non-plant sources and sunshine are what we would need to focus upon.
Word of Caution: Kindly consult with your physician before consuming any supplements.Especially since the supplements mentioned here are known to interact adversely with certain common prescription drugs.
- VITAMIN B12
- It is only found in dairy and animal sources.
- Essential for multiple metabolic activities in the body. Read more about B12 here
- It can be synthesized in a lab from non-animal sources for the vegans out there. Cyanocobalamin is the man-made form of vitamin B12
- It is available over the counter individually as a B12 supplement as well as in a mixed form as Vitamin B complex.
- It is water-soluble and there is no risk of overdose.
- The supplement is swallowed with water.
Natural sources of Vitamin B12
- VITAMIN D
- It is got from sunlight and mushrooms apart from animal sources.
- Essential for calcium metabolism and health of the musculoskeletal system. Read more about Vitamin D here.
- It is available over the counter as Vitamin D2, D3 as well as a mix of both.
- It is fat-soluble and overdosing is possible, although rare.
- It is highly recommended that the supplement be taken after a meal. It must be fully chewed and mixed with saliva before swallowing.
This Blog is a blurb and is constantly growing. Come back here soon to see more. Join our mailing list here and we’ll keep you updated with our latest posts. Also, if you want us to add something here. Write to us at email@example.com